Just about everyone snores occasionally and it usually is not something that should cause any worry. However, regular snoring episodes can indicate that you may have a slightly more serious underlying problem.
At Sove CPAP Clinic, we offer a wide variety of simple, low-cost products that you can try yourself at home to reduce your snoring episodes.
- Oral Appliances – These are usually dental mouthpieces that help to adjust the position of your lower jaw forward. This moves the base of the tongue away from the upper airways and the soft palate to clear up the airway.
- Positional Devices – These are worn across the neck or the chest and are great for people that suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnoea events mainly in the supine position. These positional devices will vibrate when you are on your back to alert change of position.
- Nasal Appliances – These nasal strips can work by either creating expiratory positive airway pressure during exhalation to open up the airways or by lifting nasal passages to reduce snoring episodes.
If these products do not work for you, or if you are worried about the effect snoring is having on your sleeping or your health, please speak medical help and discuss with your doctor. A take-home sleep study maybe beneficial in this case to determine if the cause of snoring is due to sleep apnoea so that you are able to move forward with more effective treatments.
Why do some people snore?
- Age – as you age, your airways will typically become narrower and your muscle tone in your throat will decrease.
- Anatomy – narrow throat, cleft palate, elongated soft palate, enlarged adenoids and other physical attributes may also contribute to snoring and these are often hereditary. Men typically have narrower airways than women thus making them more likely to snore.
- Nasal/Sinus Issues – chronic nasal congestion or deviated septum can create a vacuum in throat and leading to snoring.
- Alcohol/Medication consumption – alcohol and tranquilising medications can relax the muscles in the throat leading to snoring
- Sleeping position – sleeping on your back typically causes the most frequent and loudest snoring episodes
At Sove CPAP Clinic, we offer a range of snoring solutions and products from official and accredited distributers and manufacturers. We offer the lowest prices on anti-snoring products such as Theravent, Provent, Nightshift positional device, RIPsnore, RIPstrips, and Best in Rest Anti-Snoring belt. Discover the flexibility we offer with our price matching deals and payments plans on all accredited Australian and New Zealand suppliers.