Automatic CPAP (otherwise known as APAP, Auto CPAP, Variable Pressure CPAP or Smart CPAP) – is a newer form of CPAP machine, relative to the Fixed Pressure CPAP machine, and was invented primarily with the purpose of improving patient compliance and treatment comfort. Optimal therapy is achieved by automatically providing the patient with the minimum pressure required to maintain an unobstructed airway on a breath-by-breath basis.
The benefits of an Automatic CPAP machine include:
- Improved treatment efficacy – utilising the Automatic CPAP machine’s smart algorithm, the machine measures each breath to ensure the most optimal and lowest pressure is provided. Over time, a patient’s pressure requirement may change due to a variety of factors, such as age, weight, medications, illness and sleep apnoea severity. The Automatic CPAP machine’s constant and automatic pressure adjustments help ensure patients get the most from their treatment.
- Improved treatment comfort – lower CPAP pressure is generally associated with improved patient comfort, in terms of:
- Noise – Automatic CPAP machines run near-silent, due to lower optimised pressure. Patients and bed partners generally report better experiences with this.
- Pressure resistance – lower optimised pressure reduces pressure resistance when a patient breathes out against the pressure, improving comfort. Some of the brands have a comfort setting that allows for a lower pressure when exhaling against the pressure. ResMed calls it Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR) whilst Philips calls it Aflex technology.
- Reduced dryness – when combined with humidification, lower optimised pressure tends to reduce dryness in the patient’s nose, mouth and throat. This in turn, can help reduce mouth breathing, and reduce reliance on the need for a full face mask in some cases.
There are many different brands of Automatic CPAP machines. Some of the most widely-used brands include ResMed Australia, Philips Respironics and Fisher & Paykel.
Other key features of the more premium Automatic machines include in-built humidification, heated tubing to reduce condensation (i.e. water dripping inside the tubing and mask during Winter), remote compliance monitoring and app support to allow for self-monitoring.
When considering a purchase of an Automatic CPAP machine, it is often worthwhile comparing it with a Fixed Pressure CPAP machine. Fixed pressure CPAP machines deliver a constant pressure of air in order to maintain an unobstructed airway while a patient sleeps.
Sove CPAP Clinic is a leading independent provider of Sleep Apnea treatment services, including CPAP treatment. Sove CPAP Clinic carries all major brands including ResMed, Fisher & Paykel, Philips Respironics, Transcend, Weinmann, Apex and Devilbiss.
Sove CPAP Clinic offers CPAP rental of machines and CPAP masks, as well as the sale of new and second hand CPAP machines. CPAP payment plans and price match guarantee available. We ship CPAP Australia wide and CPAP direct to your door.
Every patient’s treatment needs are different, and that is why Sove CPAP Clinic tailors and individualises each package around the patient’s needs. We work with the patient and Sleep Specialists to ensure patient’s receive optimal CPAP treatment. As a comprehensive sleep service provider, patients can access Sove CPAP Clinic’s service in-clinic, over the phone, via video conferencing and online.