Sleep studies – what are they and why do I need one?
Sleep studies diagnose sleep disorders such as insomnia or sleep apnea. They are one of the best ways to identify any issues with your sleep.
There two main types of sleep studies - those done overnight in a clinic (level 1), and those performed in the comfort of your own bed at home (level 2 and level 3). In Australia, Level 1 and Level 2 sleep studies are Medicare-approved. In both sleep studies, a technician attaches wires to the patient to measure specific signals, such as your brainwaves, heart rate, breathing patterns, oxygen levels and limb movements. Sleep specialists can use these results to help identify whether you are suffering from a sleep disorder.
Here are 6 signs you may need a sleep study:
- You snore – snoring is a common sign of sleep apnea
- You can’t fall asleep – insomnia is the inability to fall (or stay) asleep and is more common than you think.
- Abnormal movements during the night – sleep disorders often involve unwanted experiences when you’re falling asleep or sleeping.
- Waking up gasping for air - if you find yourself waking up gasping for air, this is a common symptom of sleep apnea.
- Daytime tiredness – even if you sleep for 7-9 hours a night, if you’re not getting quality sleep you may find yourself more tired than when you went to bed.
- Reduced concentration and productivity – if you feel like you are constantly fatigued and can’t find the energy to do tasks, you may have an underlying health issue that is affecting your sleep quality.
If any of the following sound familiar, talk to your doctor about booking in a sleep study. Centurion Healthcare bulk-bills both Level 1 and Level 2 sleep studies for eligible patients.
The CPAP Clinic has a network of 40 clinics nationwide, and works in partnership with Centurion Healthcare, a Respiratory & Sleep Specialist clinic group to provide comprehensive sleep care including:
- Respiratory & Sleep Specialist consultation – face-to-face and telehealth available
- Sleep studies – in-lab, home and contactless sleep studies available. Bulk billing available for specialist telehealth consultations as well as sleep studies. Medicare criteria apply. Call 1300 76 29 39 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.