Want To Sleep Better? Try the 10 Commandments of Healthy Sleep
You’ve made the decision to start working on your sleep – so what now? For those looking for ways to improve their sleeping habits, start with the 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene. These simple steps can help you fall asleep faster, for longer, and more deeply.
- Set a consistent bedtime and waking time.
- Nap if you’re tired, but limit it to 45 minutes at maximum.
- Avoid drinking alcohol close to bedtime, and limit other substance use like smoking.
- Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evenings, including coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate and other caffeine sources.
- Pick the right bedtime snack – avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods close to bed.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
- Use comfortable bedding and pyjamas.
- Keep your room cool and well ventilated.
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
- Only use your bed for sleep and sex – avoid doing work or watching TV in bed. If you have tried to improve your sleep through these simple lifestyle changes, but still find yourself struggling, speak to your family doctor or a Sleep Specialist. You may be one of the millions of Australians who suffer from a sleep disorder like Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA), insomnia, or restless leg syndrome (RLS). These disorders are very treatable, and can be identified by a simple sleep study. The CPAP Clinic has a network of 40 clinics nationwide, and works in partnership with Centurion Healthcare, a Respiratory & Sleep Specialist clinic group to provide comprehensive sleep care including sleep studies and Specialist consultations.
Call us on 1300 76 29 39 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how we can help you on your journey to better sleep.